Friday, September 21, 2007

Summer

Over the summer I had the opportunity to travel to China. It was quite an eye opener to me. I realized that it is quite different when you are in the country as opposed to reading about it. I have been exposed to different sceneries which I had not imagined. My concept of the country was one where greenery and rich colors of reds and gold filled the architecture and towns of the country. Instead, I came across bland buildings and hardly, if any, green landscapes and waterfalls that would captivate anyone’s attention. Poverty is an understatement. It fills the streets, the surrounding businesses and it is quite visible as you walk through many places. Entire families live in single one bedroom apartments located in the most bizarre places such as, restaurants, bars, and markets. The villages are not purified with any sanitation, clean bathrooms are not common, and young children do not have proper clothing. There where only two things I enjoyed from my trip: the food and shopping. I enjoyed the food because I was able to taste the rich flavors and smell the wonderful aromas of garlic and ginger. I ate there typical fried rice, noodles, and drank their beer. The shopping was just an extra boost in my trip. Even though the weather was unbearable I managed to have a good time. I am not certain if I will return any time soon, but when I do I will be prepared.

1 comment:

La Professora said...

China in the summer is usually unbearably hot and humid, so most folks go shopping if only to go into air-conditioned stores.

If you know where to look, you can find real beauty even in the poorest of neighborhoods.