Friday, October 5, 2007

Music/Father

I have always had a love for Mariachi music. I remember being a young girl and seating with my dad while he explained the art of mariachi music to me. He has always been a great fan of mariachi music. Since his early teens he would leave school early to attend any of the local mariachi festival in Nayarit, Mexico. Often times, he would tag along with the guitarists and occasionally get a chance to play with one of them or even sing a song or two. A couple years ago I had to write a paper on a question I have always wanted to ask one my family members. It was one of those MUSE culture class freshman are recommend to take.
The only reason I enjoyed the class was because I was able to explore the reason why my father loved mariachi music. I had to conduct an interview with and ask him a series of questions one was Why do you love Mariachi music? His answer was something like, I enjoy the sounds, and they fill my heart with love and memories of my exciting childhood. They remind me of good and bad times. Such as the death of your grandfather and my crazy life as a bachelor in the States. He also said that he enjoyed mariachi music a lot more now that he was older because he was able to have a deep meaningful conversation about it with his only daughter- which is Muah!
My brothers have always told me that my dad and I share a greater bond than they will ever have, they often wondered why? After doing this project I understood where they where coming from. My dad and I can sit for hours and listen to different mariachi groups. We can look at old photographs and examine the different charro suits and try to identify the eras in which they where created. My brothers do not have that connection with my father. No one actually does. Every time I hear a mariachi perform the little hairs on my back stand up. The lyrics bring me memories of childhood. I will always thank Mariachi music because it was create a connection with my dad that no one can take away.

No comments: